The Jayme’s Bears Project was launched in 2012, inspired by the mitzvah (or “good deed”) Jayme undertook when she was 12. She hand made 40 fleece teddy bears for hospitalized children at the Jimmy Fund Clinic in Boston, MA. Each bear also carried a special message.
Today, The Jayme’s Bears Project provides hand-sewn bears for children living through difficult circumstances locally and around the world. Volunteers, who generously dedicate their time, energy and talents, create the bears.
Community sew-a-thons are currently held throughout the year in New Hampshire. Local schools, universities, businesses and community groups are encouraged to become involved.
To carry on with Jayme’s tradition, each bear is uniquely crafted and carries a positive message. Each Jayme’s Bear come in a tote bag, donated by the Timberland Company, and include the booklet Jayme’s Bears, meant to comfort and provide encouragement to children in-need. Jayme’s Bears are given to and distributed by hospitals, shelters, police and fire departments, and international organizations that work with children.
In the programs first year of existence, over 300 Bears were created and distributed. To date, more than 1200 Bears have been sewn and distributed.
Very Special Thank you to KK Gregor Greer of Mill Direct Textiles for making the high quality polartec fleece affordable for the project, and to all of our amazing bear makers!!
A portion of the funding raised from The Jayme’s Bears Project is allocated to Scholarships for Success!
“Thanks so much for your wonderful donation of bears! They are already cheering up our children and have found new homes. We truly appreciate all that you do for us.” ~ Executive Director, David’s House
“We would like to thank Jayme’s Fund for the amazing hand-sewn bears that will be given to children in our programs who need a hug. We so much appreciate your generosity and contribution to the work that we are doing. Thank you for your support!” ~ Families First, Portsmouth NH
Listen to “Jayme’s Ballad” by Joseph Kozdra. Released: 2013. Download MP3.[hr][spacer]
Share Jayme’s Bears!
If you are interested in learning more about The Jayme’s Bears Project and how you can share these bears with children in-need, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Jayme’s Bears.”[hr][spacer]
Find Jayme’s Bears at
Here is a current list of organizations distributing Jayme’s Bears:
- Mass General Hospital (Boston, MA)
- St. Matthew’s Parish Dominican Republic (Dominican Republic)
- Seacoast Learning Collaborative (Exeter, NH)
- Windham Helping Hands (Windham, NH)
- Debbie’s Treasure Chest (Lawrence, MA)
- The Way Home (Manchester, NH)
- Epping Police Department (Epping, NH)
- PALS Nashua (Nashua, NH)
- Hampstead Fire and Rescue (Hampstead, NH)
- Quincy Community Action Programs (Quincy, MA)
- Court Appointed Special Advocates (Manchester, NH)
- Zonta Organization/Concord Hospital (Concord, NH)
- Families First (Portsmouth, NH)
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (Boston, MA)
- Center for Assessment and Treatment (Hackettstown, NJ)
- Amoskeag Health Services (Child Health Services) (Manchester, NH)
- Children’s Hospital at Dartmouth (Hanover, NH)
- David’s House (Lebanon, NH)
- The Derry Community Fund (Derry, NH)
- Floating Hospital for Children (Boston, MA)
- The Jimmy Fund Clinic at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (Boston, MA)
- Lowell Greater Hospital (Lowell, MA)
- Manchester Fire Department (Manchester, NH)
- Marguerite’s Place (Nashua, NH)
- New Generations Shelter (Greenland, NH)
- Watoto Word (Kenya)
- Windham Police Department (Windham, NH)